[mapserver-users] Fwd: Tools for automatically generate mapfiles

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Wed May 8 18:13:04 PDT 2013

Hi Luis,

For your information we (Mapgears) have worked internally on a web-based
GUI to edit and maintain mapfiles called ScribeUI. This tool allows
editing mapfiles in three different syntax:
  - regular/raw mapfile syntax
  - basemaps generate_style.py syntax
(https://github.com/mapserver/basemaps)
  - and Scribe syntax
(http://www.mapgears.com/en/blog/archive/2013-03-12-scribe)

Unfortunately it is still an internal tool and needs some work before we
can publish it. However, a student has submitted a Google Summer of Code
(GSoC) proposal to take this internal project, polish and finish it,
test and package it and make it available as an open source component to
the MapServer community.

The GSoC proposals are currently being evaluated, and the final decision
date is May 27. If the project is selected the you can expect some news
on this list about the plans in early June. The goal is to make this a
collaborative project in order to help make it more sustainable in the
long run, so contributors such as you would be much welcome.

Best Regards

Daniel

On 13-05-08 11:55 AM, Luis Mejia wrote:
> Hello all,
> I'm newbie in this mailing list and I'm interested to know what tools
> automatically generate mapfiles. So far, only I know two, gvSIG and
> Quantum GIS. anyone knows other? anyone knows some web site?
>
> I am interested in develop a web site for automatically generate
> mapfiles. it's something similiar to online css's code generators
>
> Thanks in advance
> PD: Excuse me my poor english.
>
> --
> Luis Miguel Mejía Martínez