[mapserver-users] A Thank You

Smith, Michael Michael.Smith at maine.gov
Tue May 28 12:28:05 PDT 2013

I'll just put out there that the State of Maine's entire orthoimagery collection is served out to our users via WMS from MapServer (MS4W to be precise).  You can see this on our data catalog www.maine.gov/megis<http://www.maine.gov/megis> - anything with the WMS logo.  Using a file-based approach with MapServer as the rendering engine saved us over $100,000 per year.  We are averaging 14,000 requests per business day and recently passed the 10 million mark total.  People running ArcGIS probably don't even realize they are consuming imagery rendered with open-source software.  The actual URLs (for non-Esri clients) are on the 'Online Maps and Services' page.

Furthermore, the processing of imagery to get it WMS-ready is all done with GDAL/OGR scripting and just a wee bit of ArcGIS.

We also increasingly use front-end FOSS4G components like GeoMoose and our premiere application (orthoimagery and basemap viewer) is GeoMoose.

So good stuff and yes it's certainly being used in the 'real world'.  Thanks!

===============================
Michael Smith MS GISP
State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS
State of Maine, Office of Information Technology
michael.smith _at_ maine.gov 207-215-5530

Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary
Education Chair, Maine GIS Users Group
State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE5BB7.F3D33110]

State House Station 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, ME 04333-0145