[mapserver-users] Mapscript_csharp and GDAL_DATA

David Lowther dlowther at coordinatesolutions.com
Wed May 29 05:17:31 PDT 2013

Hi List,

I've run into a bit of an issue. Using
release-1600-gdal-1-8-0-mapserver-5-6-6
<http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/PackageList.aspx?file=release-1600-gdal-1-8
-0-mapserver-5-6-6.zip>  in my .Net project I cannot get ECW images to draw.
I receive this error:

msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named
'ecw'.;msDrawRaster(): Image handling error. Unrecognized or unsupported
image format;drawEPP(): Image handling error. EPPL7 support is not
available.

I believe that this means that the ECW driver is not found and the EPPL7 is
just the last one of the list that Mapserver tried to use.

I am able to generate an image from the mapfile using both shp2img and
drawmap when the SDKShell.bat is executed, so I believe that the issue in my
.Net app is with environment variables not being set in the .Net
application. The application is a web application, but I experience the same
issue in a console application.

I've tried the guidance from gis.stackexchange pointing to this gdal advice:
https://bitbucket.org/bjartn/gdalgonewild/src/4be6d86fef24/src/GdalGoneWild.
Client/GdalEnvironment.cs?at=default without luck.

Am I on the right track with the environment variables? Has anyone had any
luck setting these environment variables (GDAL_DATA, GDAL_DRIVER, PROJ_LIB)
in .Net code for Mapscript use? If so, can you guide me? Or, is there a work
around? I am even willing to put everything in the bin directory if that is
the only way to make things work.

Thanks a ton in advance for your assistance.

Dave Lowther

Coordinate Solutions, Inc