[mapserver-users] Canot get around: WMS server error. Invalid layer(s) given in the LAYERS parameter.r

Paul.Sheedy at bentley.com Paul.Sheedy at bentley.com
Tue Oct 1 09:57:02 PDT 2013

I installed MS4W a few days ago to put together a small proof-of-concept. I've been through the tutorial, which I got to work with a little tweaking. When I attempt to use an Oracle spatial table, I get a MS server error: Invalid layers(s)... error - which gives me no indication where I am going wrong.
Can anyone spot a problem here? I am running out of hair to pull out.
I have the Oracle client installed on my local machine and am attempting to draw a map from a spatial table on a local vm, on which I have Oracle Spatial running (10g).
I tried OGRINFO using the Oracle login credentials and table name - with immediate success.
mapserv -v shows that ORACLESPATIAL is a valid option
GetCapabiltiies contains no warnings
The map file is very simple - I have tried at least one hundred variations.
The data table has a SRID (though I have other tables with SRIDs and tables without). I've included the SRID in wms_srs and I have excluded it. I am beginning to believe the problem lies elsewhere - but have no idea what approach to use to find it, other than stabbing in the dark.
The map file contents are:
MAP
NAME "Map1"
SIZE 600 400
WEB
    IMAGEPATH "/tmp/ms_tmp/"
    TEMPLATE "..\Templates\TEMPLATE2.HTML"
    METADATA
        "wms_enable_request"  "*"
            "wms_title"    "TestMap"
                               "wms_srs"      "EPSG:2205"
    END
END

LAYER
    NAME TestMap
    TYPE LINE
    STATUS ON
    UNITS METERS
    CONNECTIONTYPE ORACLESPATIAL
    CONNECTION "test_user/test_user at LOCALVM1"
    DATA "SHAPE FROM (SELECT SHAPE FROM XNA_ROUTES)"
    METADATA
        "wms_enable_request"  "*"
            "wms_name"    "TestMap"
            "wms_title"    "TestMapTitle"