[mapserver-users] preparing orthos for Mapserver?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Oct 4 13:09:34 PDT 2013

On 10/4/2013 3:45 PM, Worth Lutz wrote:
> I have a question on preparing a set of orthophoto tiff files for use
> with MapServer.
>
> The orthophotos are 10,000 x 10,000 pixels with 6 in. resolution.
>
> Currently I have a tile index pointing to these files.
>
> I’m wondering about internal tiling and overlays. Should I process these
> tiles with gdal to internally tile each one and add internal overlays.
>
> I’m thinking that the overlays would be more useful that the internal
> tiling based upon the size of the current tiles.

Yes, you should do both of these. The internal tiling is very important
when you access a very small part of the image so you do not have to
pull the whole image into memory just to access a small part of it.

The overlays are import when you are zooming out so you do not have to
resample on the fly.

-Steve W