[mapserver-users] WMS Server Optimization?

gom gord.mckenzie at canam.com
Wed Apr 2 12:55:59 PDT 2014

I have created a Mapserver site and published a couple of large raster layers
through WMS.  They work as expected and perform quiite well.

When i add the wms layers to Gaia or to Global Mapper they add and display
great.  I want to display the layers in AutoCAD Map.  When I add the WMS
layer there it takes 1.5 to 3 minutes to add the layer.  After that it works
fine.  No other WMS layers behave like that in AutoCAD Map and as I
mentioned previously, the layers don't work like that in any other program.

The layers are made up of about 1600 PNG images that are referenced in the
.map file by tileindexes.  One layer is at 2 metre pixels and the other at 5
metre pixels.  If I remove the layer that references the 2 metre images and
only use the 5 metre images, the layer is attached quite quickly.  If I
switch and use only the 2 metre image layer the speed is slow again.

My output format is PNG8.
The images are stored in the same projection as they are being queried.
I have added the wms_extents metadata to each layer.
The MAXGEOWIDTH is such that no data is queried on inital loading of the
layer.

I have asked the question in the AutoCAD support forums, from the AutoCAD
MAp perspective, but was hoping there might be some suggestions as to
configuration/map options, in Mapserver, that might help speed up this
operation.

Thanks