[mapserver-users] Can't see any SVG Symbol with SVGCAIRO support

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 7 10:08:03 PDT 2014

On 4/7/2014 12:02 PM, Ludovic Gnemmi wrote:
> i finally found that this problem  was depending on svg file type.
>
> Some SVG files doesn't work with mapserver built with libsvg/libsvg-cairo.
> IE svg files provided with Qgis.
>
> These files cause assert (segmentation fault) =>  (freeSVGCache). The
> renderer_cache come with a NULL svg handle.
>
> I had to change all my SVG files. (With Inkscape : Save As PLAIN SVG file)
>
> This problem doesn't occur with librsvg but only with libsvg/libsvg-cairo.

Yes, this was a common problem when I original did a bunch of test with
Thomas. I was using a version of mapserv-6.1-dev in the original tests
and put together this test suite:

http://imaptools.com:8080/svg-test/

Most all of these SVG files would display correctly in mapserver.

I just put the test suite back up and based on:

MapServer version 6.2.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG SUPPORTS=PROJ
SUPPORTS=GD SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO
SUPPORTS=SVG_SYMBOLS SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=FRIBIDI SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI
SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

I looks like I'm seeing a lot more failures.

The trick was to flatten the SVG and save them a plain. Basically some
complex and nested symbols did not work and text objects needed to be
exploded to vectors.

I remember that there was some discussion about svg libraries and
licensing issues the impacted this but I forget the details.

Thomas - can you summarize the issues again?

Thanks,
   -Steve W