[mapserver-users] Can't see any SVG Symbol with SVGCAIRO support

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 7 10:37:59 PDT 2014

On 4/7/2014 1:08 PM, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> On 4/7/2014 12:02 PM, Ludovic Gnemmi wrote:
>> i finally found that this problem  was depending on svg file type.
>>
>> Some SVG files doesn't work with mapserver built with
>> libsvg/libsvg-cairo.
>> IE svg files provided with Qgis.
>>
>> These files cause assert (segmentation fault) =>  (freeSVGCache). The
>> renderer_cache come with a NULL svg handle.
>>
>> I had to change all my SVG files. (With Inkscape : Save As PLAIN SVG
>> file)
>>
>> This problem doesn't occur with librsvg but only with
>> libsvg/libsvg-cairo.
>
> Yes, this was a common problem when I original did a bunch of test with
> Thomas. I was using a version of mapserv-6.1-dev in the original tests
> and put together this test suite:
>
> http://imaptools.com:8080/svg-test/
>
> Most all of these SVG files would display correctly in mapserver.
>
> I just put the test suite back up and based on:
>
> MapServer version 6.2.1 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=GD SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO
> SUPPORTS=SVG_SYMBOLS SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=FRIBIDI SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
> SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT
> SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI
> SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
> INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE
>
> I looks like I'm seeing a lot more failures.
>
> The trick was to flatten the SVG and save them a plain. Basically some
> complex and nested symbols did not work and text objects needed to be
> exploded to vectors.
>
> I remember that there was some discussion about svg libraries and
> licensing issues the impacted this but I forget the details.
>
> Thomas - can you summarize the issues again?

Here is another test which adds another column for additional comparison:

http://imaptools.com:8080/svg-test/index-agg-svg.html

It looks like some of the paths have changes especially in the osm
scalable symbols. I probably need to regenerate the the html and
mapserver map files based on the current set of symbols to fix the
broken paths.

Let me know if you need this done and I will try to find some time to
fix the test suite.

Thanks,
   -Steve