[mapserver-users] Paletted GeoTIFF output in 6.4 not working?

Avi Blackmore support at satshot.com
Mon Apr 14 14:24:38 PDT 2014

Hello,

	I've been using Mapserver to (among many other things) classify rasters for years.  I would output GeoTIFFs in 8-bit, paletted mode using a custom output format definition, which I defined as follows:

 OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME "GTiff2"
    MIMETYPE "image/tiff"
    DRIVER "GDAL/GTiff"
    EXTENSION "tif"
    IMAGEMODE "PC256"
    TRANSPARENT FALSE
  END

	This worked for years with versions of Mapserver ranging from 4.4 up to 5.6.

	Recently, I decided to test an upgrade to 6.4, and I have found that this no longer works.  The imagemode declaration is ignored and coerced back to RGB mode, which is unsuitable for our purposes.

	What is the proper way to get Mapserver to output 8-bit palletted GeoTIFFs using raster classification in 6.4?  Or, is this no longer possible?  I hope not, because I really want to use 6.4 in production, it has some great new features.
--
Avi Blackmore
Head Programmer/System Administrator