[mapserver-users] Adding support for blending mode / blurring filter – call for co-funding

Ludovic Gnemmi lgnemmi at rgd73-74.fr
Thu Apr 17 08:26:07 PDT 2014

Hello everyone,

We've been using Mapserver for several years. Mapserver is a great map
rendering tool. Almost perfect ;) we actually miss one thing to produce
beautiful maps : the ability to set  compositing or blurring filters for
layers.

Unfortunately in Mapserver the only option for compositing layers is by
setting a layer’s opacity. As you know this approach has some limitations.
The opacity settings when overlaying layers don’t get the best results. All
layers are partially faded out.

Until now, the only way to get blending/blurring  is to export a map, using
third-party tools playing with the layer modes there and finally combining
them. But this requires a lot of work.  Having this implemented internally
would opens new interesting doors.

 We all have seen maps from Stamen, TileMill/Mapbox or even from QGIS2.0
using compositing / blurring. These effects are more and more used by
cartographers to fine tune how layers are blended together. That would be a
great enhancement if Masperver could supports these processings natively.
(See attached examples)

It seems that we would have to raise approximately €10k in total. We
actually are not able to fully support this development alone. So we’re
turning to the list to see if other organization would be interested in
co-funding with us this kind of enhancement?

So please let us know.

Regards,

Ludovic Gnemmi – RGD 73-74

OpacityVsBlending.png