[mapserver-users] Map collaring techniques.

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Dec 19 08:57:57 PST 2014

Bob,

In the past I've dabbled with having layers to " erase"the map data
around the perimeter:

LAYER
   NAME "Margin"
   TRANSFORM FALSE
   STATUS DEFAULT
   TYPE POLYGON
   CLASS
      COLOR 255 255 255
   END
   FEATURE
      POINTS 0 0 0 600 70 600 70 0 0 0 END
      POINTS 70 0 70 70 800 70 800 0 70 0 END
      POINTS 70 600 800 600 800 530 70 530 70 600 END
      POINTS 730 70 730 530 800 530 800 70 730 70 END
   END
END

#-----------------------------------------------------------
LAYER
   NAME "NeatLine"
   TRANSFORM FALSE
   STATUS DEFAULT
   TYPE LINE
   CLASS
      COLOR 0 0 0
   END
   FEATURE
      POINTS 70 70 70 530 730 530 730 70 70 70 END
   END
END

Also I've experimented with adding FORMATOPTIONs to OUTPUTFORMAT code
(see
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/mapserver-dev/2009-January/008050.html)

How big do you plan to make your maps?  Will they include imagery?

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser