[mapserver-users] New to Mapserver

Smith, Michael Michael.Smith at maine.gov
Thu Jul 31 13:13:44 PDT 2014

I would also recommend for just learning MapServer to us MS4W, that way you shouldn't have to worry about configuring IIS or other stuff like that.  MS4W will install on a Windows box in about 30 seconds.  Just disable IIS first (because MS4W will install Apache and want to use port 80).

This way you can spend time learning about creating mapfiles and WMS services on a known good configuration, then later figure out how to make it work with other distributions and web servers, and other OS too.

===============================
Michael Smith MS GISP
State GIS Manager, Maine Office of GIS
State of Maine, Office of Information Technology
michael.smith _at_ maine.gov 207-215-5530

Board Member, Maine GeoLibrary
Education Chair, Maine GIS Users Group
State Rep, National States Geographic Information Council
[cid:image001.jpg at 01CFACDA.662989C0]

State House Station 145
51 Commerce Drive
Augusta, ME 04333-0145