[mapserver-users] Enhancing MapServer performance with GPUs

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Sun Jun 15 14:57:26 PDT 2014

Le dimanche 15 juin 2014 23:50:05, Visit Hirankitti a écrit :
> Dear list memers,
>
> My name is Visit, a newbie of this forum. I have been using MapServer for
> at least 4 years now on many research projects. It has served my research
> projects quite well.
>
> Recently I am using MapServer to develop a real-world enterprise web
> application.
> I am developing a web-based GIS application using MapServer to serve
> thousands of users, and one of overheads of the system is on the map
> rendering provided by MapServer.
>
> At the moment the server I use to run MapServer doesn't have a graphic card
> (i.e. GPUs), but I wonder if I really want high performance of
> map-rendering from MapServer, can a graphic card (i.e. GPUs) equipped with
> the server enhance MapServer's map rendering speed and hence improve its
> map service speed?
>
> As a graphic card contains hundreds of GPU cores, e.g. NVDIA CUDA platform,
> and each core can compute and draw polygons in parallel, so I think this
> can improve the speed of map rendering (if used with MapServer)
> substantially. Do I understand this correctly?

You'll have to profile where the time is exactly spent in MapServer. If it is
in pulling data from sources, or in the rendering part itself. There's a
OpenGL backend available in recent MapServer versions that could potentially
speed up rendering, but it is likely a bit experimental and might need more
work.

--
Geospatial professional services