[mapserver-users] Storing GeoTIFFs in Amazon S3 for use with Mapserver?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Nov 5 12:17:54 PST 2014

Robert,

I was actually using the vsicurl support from a prep-script similar to
gdaltindex, not from in mapserver directly, so I don't have a handy
example.  I'd also be concerned that accessing the data via /vsicurl/ would
have performance problems that would make it unwise for direct access from
MapServer.  One benefit of the S3 file system handlers is that they cache
the files locally so multiple tile renders in mapserver from the file would
be fast after the first fetch.  If you use /vsicurl/ then I don't think
that local caching would occur between mapserver render requests.

Best regards,
Frank

warmerdam at pobox.com