[mapserver-users] Oracle layer partially drawn

Rahkonen Jukka (Tike) jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Tue Sep 9 04:29:24 PDT 2014

Hi,

Perhaps good news is that I could reproduce the issue with your data and mapfile on out Oracle 11g and with some old MS4W version. Connection with Oracle works but at small scales only part of points are rendered. Rendered points are inside rectangular boxes and there can be 1-3 boxes on the screen. It looks like the boxes are always in the same locations. When zooming in more points appear.

 Bad news is that I fear that developers are not interested in studying this issue with such an old Mapserver version because the brand new v. 7.0 will be released soon.

I tried to repeat the test with more recent version 6.5-dev which I have installed on top of MS4W with the 32-bit binaries from gisinternals.com/sdk. Unfortunately I could not make the connection with Oracle to work in a reasonable time.  What I tried was to use the included msplugin_oracle.dll by editing the mapfile to have
   CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN
   PLUGIN "msplugin_oracle.dll"

I copied our TNS_NAMES.ORA into very many places, I tried with several different SET ORACLE_HOME=  alternatives but the best result I ever had was
msOracleSpatialLayerOpen(): OracleSpatial error. Cannot create OCI Handlers. Connection failure. Check the connection string. Error: ORA-12154:

Because these are not mine data I apologize and stop my investigations by now. I may have another try if I find some day recent Windows binaries and tested instructions about how to make that version to connect with Oracle.

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-