[mapserver-users] html legend not working

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Aug 4 03:00:27 PDT 2015

Hi Raffaele,

After doing some research, you are right and html legends do not belong to WMS but only to Mapserver CGI which I have never used myself.  Reasoning:

1) From WMS 1.1.1 specification OGC 01-068r3, page 54:
7.5 GetLegendGraphic (SLD WMS only)
The optional GetLegendGraphic operation applies only to a Styled Layer Descriptor
WMS. See the SLD specification [3] for this operation.

2) From Styled Layer Descriptor Implementation Specification (v. 1.0.0), OGC 02-070, page 72:
FORMAT: This gives the MIME type of the file format in which to return the
legend graphic. Allowed values are the same as for the FORMAT=
parameter of the WMS GetMap request.

Same text is in SLD 1.1.0 specification. Because html is not a possible format for GetMap it is not possible to use is for GetLegendGraphic either.

What remains is a small Mapserver bug with the wms_getlegendgraphic_formatlist metadata item because GetCapabilities may advertise different formats than those which are really supported.

-Jukka Rahkonen-