[mapserver-users] S57 Marine Charts on mapserver?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Dec 22 07:08:45 PST 2015

On 2015-12-22 2:38 AM, Havard Tveite wrote:
> S57 is supported in Mapserver through OGR:
> http://mapserver.org/input/vector/S57.html
>
> I guess it should be possible to implement S52 using
> Mapserver's quite powerful symbol mechanisms.  But I don't
> know if has been done before.

Yes, that's been done, I'm actually aware of at least two groups who did
it, and I'm sure there must be several others.

Since the S52 symbology is a standard, it would make sense to open
source those mapfiles to improve on them collaboratively, but
unfortunately none of the groups that I am aware of were able to open
source their configs so far.

A few hints:

- Convert the S57 data to shapefiles or postgis to make your life easier
- Most symbology can be handled directly in mapfiles, except complex
symbols such as light houses that require some pre-processing to
generate new shapes for MapServer to render (showing the radius/range of
the light house)
- Check out OpenCPN if you need some inspiration, especially
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/tree/master/data/s57data
- If you want to overlay multiple layers of S57 data in the same map,
then you may need this MapServer 7.0 enhancement:
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/pull/5100

Good luck

--
Daniel Morissette