[mapserver-users] the lines one above other

Vladimir fl_v at inbox.ru
Fri Feb 13 01:17:13 PST 2015

Bobb
Thanks you very much for detailed answer.
I'll have to place the parts of lines in various layers.
There is no other elegant decision as i understood, but I wonder how "web-map-giants" like GOOGLE or OSM get out of this scrape.
>Vladimir,
>
>I’ve faked this in the past by drawing the same layer many times in one pass (inside of the same mapfile), you need at least one complete layer pass, with other partial layers for
 the over/under situations.  You can do the partial layer grouping with attributes on the segments that need to go under or over, and this is a manual process for the most part, but it’s a real pain to keep that up to date over time (I’m talking over years)
 .  I could probably find a programmer that thought of this as a challenge, but you still need a human to decide what is over something else as a last QA.

>The much harder task is defining which layers (partial segments are over/under other layers..  You need to remove some line segments form at least one of the layers in order to make
 things display correctly.  Sometimes a layer is over, sometime it’s under.  I actually have two instances in my mapping system, where I have three different bridges stacked on top of each other, two of them a roadways, with the odd one in between them.  The
 other has a Railway bridge over a roadway bridge crossing.