[mapserver-users] multiple mapserv versions side by side

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 19:14:34 PST 2015

Thanks Daniel. I'd like to also have php mapscript but with static linking
i'm getting error below. Any suggestions for that?

Linking CXX shared module php_mapscript.so
/usr/bin/ld: ../../libmapserver_static.a(cgiutil.c.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
../../libmapserver_static.a: error adding symbols: Bad value
make[2]: *** [mapscript/php/php_mapscript.so] Error 1

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 7:48 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com
> wrote:

> On 2015-02-17 9:18 PM, Richard Greenwood wrote:
>
>> I'd like to play with the mapserv 7 beta on the same Ubuntu machine that
>> I have mapserv 6.4 installed on. But both versions are using
>> libmapserver.so so depending on what I have in my ldconfig path it's
>> finding the 6.4 version lib or the 7beta ib. Is there an easier way to
>> have both versions without changing ldconfig each time I switch between
>> the two versions? Sorry, I know this is probably a pretty basic Linux
>> question.
>>

> Hi Rich,
>
> Use
>
> cmake  ... -DLINK_STATIC_LIBMAPSERVER=1  ...
>
> and libmapserver.a will be statically linked into your mapserv executable,
> and then you can simply copy the executable to your cgi-bin
>
> cp ./mapserv /usr/lib/cgi-bin/mapserv70
>

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
> http://www.mapgears.com/
> Provider of Professional MapServer Support since 2000

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
www.greenwoodmap.com