[mapserver-users] Using a variable as a CLASSITEM

Theobald, Charles charles.theobald at ncdenr.gov
Fri Jul 24 11:52:50 PDT 2015

Is it still possible to use a variable for the value of CLASSITEM?  We're passing the field name to be used in the CLASSes  in the URL as a variable (%dmmethod%):

    CLASSITEM  '%dmmethod%'
    FILTER ('[type]'='County')
    STATUS on
    CLASS
      NAME 'No Drought'
      EXPRESSION ('[%dmmethod%]'='-1')
      STYLE
        COLOR           255 255 255
        OUTLINECOLOR    20 20 20
      END
    END
This used to work in previous versions.  There are 6 different fields that could be searched, for 6 possible values.  I'd really like to avoid creating 36 classes for each layer that uses this attribute table.  I am including dmmethod in a validation block in each layer trying to use this variable.  Mapserver version is 6.0.3

Thank you.

Charles Theobald
NC Division of Water Resources
charles.theobald at ncdenr.gov
919-707-9136
*E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties.