[mapserver-users] Improving Mapserver speed for air photo services

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Thu May 28 06:37:58 PDT 2015

Hello,

Andy Colson asked me about my interactive mapping setup and how I was able to get the air photos to run fast.  I figure there may be a couple other people that might want to know what I did to improve the speed of my service at: http://geomoose.lyonco.org/geomoose2/geomoose.html#.  Please note that this list is not exhaustive, nor am I an expert.  So some people may want to add or refute some of this information.

*Use the same projection for everything.  Don't make MapServer have to deal with projecting imagery or data to a different coordinate system.
*Use a map cache.  Mapcache is integrated with some distributions of MapServer, but there are several out there each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
*Disable fractional zoom on your application.  In addition make sure your application is set up to use the same scales, tile size, and tile origin (grid) as your map cache.  If any of these don't match then your mapcache will need to perform extra work for each request.
*Search for "WMS Performance Shootout."  They are starting to get old now, but they contain many tidbits on how to improve speed.
*You may want to look at http://www.mapserver.org/optimization/raster.html.  This page mentions what format you should use, and how to create internal tiles.
*Use PROCESSING "OVERSAMPLE_RATIO=1".  If I recall correctly MapServer uses an oversample ratio of 2.5 so it is sampling the raster at 180dpi to create a 72 dpi image.  This is good for scientific applications, but it may be unnecessary for air photos.  Just be warned that low oversample ratios can create grainer images.

I think that by using a cache, making sure your application grid matches your cache, and configuring oversample_ratio=1 so MapServer doesn't need to do extra work will be more important than the actual server specs.  What you need for a server really depends on more factors.  Our server is "decent" now but we use to have an old GIS server that performed well with the above tips.

Sincerely,
Mark Volz, GISP
Lyon County GIS Coordinator