[mapserver-users] performance question - joining dbf tables in MapServer

Mark Volz MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us
Fri Aug 19 12:44:33 PDT 2016

Steve,

That will help.  Thank You!

Sincerely,
Mark Volz

From: Lime, Steve D (MNIT) [mailto:Steve.Lime at state.mn.us]
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2016 1:53 PM
To: Mark Volz <MarkVolz at co.lyon.mn.us>; mapserver-users at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: RE: [mapserver-users] performance question - joining dbf tables in MapServer

Joins are really meant for simple look ups so there is no indexing or anything like that with the DBF and flat file options. Also note that JOINs are post-query-only so you couldn't label based on a joined column, nor query on a joined attribute. You could keep information you wanted to display as the result of a query however.

In short, if you have a relatively small set of attributes that you want to display as a result of a query then a JOIN might work well.  Does that help?

Steve