[mapserver-users] Very poor WMS tiling performance with small area, ultra-high resolution image

Schepers, Benjamin schepers at rvr-online.de
Sun Feb 14 23:16:02 PST 2016

Hi,

you still pointed to the right answer, strategies like overviews and tiling are IMHO not scale-dependent. They depend on the pixel-dimension of the image and you have - let's say - a not so small one ;-)

So converting to GeoTIFF with internal "Tiling" could be the right strategy  for you (http://www.gdal.org/frmt_gtiff.html;  use "BigTIFF" if files are expected to be larger than 4GB) --> hint: gdal_translate with "BIGTIFF=YES" and "TILED=YES" ... and of course Overviews (gdaladdo; also possible with BigTIFF-option).

Compression for original and overviews, could be lossless "LZW" or  lossy "JPEG-YCBCR" for example, this would also substantially squeeze down the size an d depends on your needs...

I have a lot of aerial images with up to 250.000*150.000px (GSD up to 6cm) in that manner and they are serving really, really fast via mapserver. Not every GIS-software is able to read those tiled and compressed BigTiffs directly (due to the lack of support for this file-format), but ArcGIS and QGIS do well (both use GDAL) and all others could still use the WMS served from mapserver!

Regards
Ben

Luftbild und Geoinformationssysteme
schepers at rvr-online.de