[mapserver-users] Remote MapFile

Mark Korver mwkorver at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 13:23:00 PDT 2016

This method is specific to Amazon EC2, but there is a gist located here
https://gist.github.com/mwkorver/1ef45abac3871360f2b1
that is an example of how to deploy a cluster of Mapservers using a remote
map file AND data. Both map file and source geotiffs are accessed via HTTP
because they both sit on S3.
The user-data script will install a few things including Yas3fs to run a
Dockerized Mapserver image behind Nginx. Yas3fs is what mounts the S3
buckets in RO mode on the filesystem.
The Dockerfile located here - https://github.com/mwkorver/mapserver
is the source for the image referenced in the user-data script. Even if you
don't care for Docker it useful as an install script for Mapserver on
Ubuntu if you are looking to use Nginx.
One problem I still have not fixed is that on reboot, Mapserver does not
restart. Everything else comes back up. If someone could let me know how to
fix that I would appreciate it.
-Mark