[mapserver-users] Refreshing AWS credentials for the /vsis3/ driver

Peter Schmitt pschmitt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:22:27 PDT 2016

What is the best way to update Mapserver with current AWS credentials for
the /vsis3/ driver?

I am using the /vsis3/ driver to render images in a private S3 bucket.  I
am currently setting the credentials as fastcgi parameters in my nginx
conf.  I would like to use temporary credentials provided by IAM roles,
which change periodically.  When the credentials change, I currently have
to restart Nginx.  Ideally I would define the environment variables
(AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID, AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY, AWS_SESSION_TOKEN) in my
Mapfile.  Since Mapserver reads the mapfile for every request, I could just
update the Mapfile when the credentials change.  I think this would give me
uninterrupted access to serving imagery using /vsis3/.

Thanks,
Pete