[mapserver-users] Embed map (detail map) in mapserver output?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Feb 8 14:39:38 PST 2017

On 2/8/2017 5:22 PM, Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) wrote:
> All,
>
> Anyone know of a way (trick) to embed a map into a regular map query in
> Mapserver?  Something like embedding a legend, but I actaully want to
> embed another higher resolution detail map.  Ideally I would be able to
> use any of the layers in the main map for the detail as well.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if I can make what I want in a LEGEND block?? If an image
> in a LEGEND block could be another call to mapserver in place of a
> static image . . .   Just a wishlist thing right now.  I can stack
> things in another piece of software currently.

Bob,

This sounds like something you might find in a composition tool. There
might be a way to make (trick) mapserver do this, like allowing a image
symbol to be create using a url rather than a file, then placing that on
the map, but mapserver has a great focus on high performance map image
rendering. What is your use case for this?

I think it might be better to think about this problem in terms of
creating a composition tool oriented toward maps that would allow
collars, legends, detailed maps, annotations, grids, etc and be able to
output PDFs or images, or formats compatible with document systems or
whatever.

-Steve W

---