[mapserver-users] Class maxscaledenom performance

pe_lord pe_lord at yahoo.ca
Wed May 31 09:41:32 PDT 2017

I have a large dataset (7 500 000 polygons) published in a WMS service stored
in a PostGIS table (spatial index and attribute index on classitem field). I
render this layer between 1 and 100 001. I'm trying to manage my scale by
class as    Mapfile maxscaledenom
<http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/es/optimization/mapfile.html#layers>   to show
between 1: 15 000 000 and 1:100 001 the footprint of data (classitem='BBOX')
and the data between 1:100 000 and 1:1

Everything working properly. Except for performance. I have tested with a
DEBUG 5 to know which element has been evaluated and every element in map
has been "checked". Causing this lack of performance.

I have also tried union layers but I find it too much time expensive to
maintain over a large number of layers.

Any hints to solve this problem?

Pierre