[mapserver-users] MapServer on Centos 7

Mark Jackson mark.jackson at cerc.co.uk
Wed Apr 25 07:59:23 PDT 2018

Hi there

We have a managed server with MapServer and Centos. We asked our ISP
about moving to a new server and they said MapServer "would not work
well with CentOS7, certainly not without a great deal of
customisation and it's something we would not recommend. " (I am not
convinced they know much about MapServer though...)

Does MapServer work well on Centos 7?
Is there a web page that says MapServer works well on Centos 7 - so I
can send it to the ISP ?

Back in 2011 the same ISP installed MapServer 5.6.6 onto Centos 5
quite easily, compiling it from source. I don't know exactly why they
are reluctant to install MapServer on Centos 7 - they have not given
details. We would be happy to use the most up-to-date MapServer, 7.

I've looked at mapserver.org but can't find anything clear about
Centos 7 support. I think the most relevant pages are the download
page http://mapserver.org/uk/download.html and the compiling on Unix
page http://mapserver.org/installation/unix.html

(I'm reluctant to shift to another ISP because up to now, these guys
have been excellent. I'd like to convince them that MapServer is fine
on Centos 7.)

Thanks
Mark

Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd. cannot accept any
responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message as
it has been transmitted over a public network.

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, this e-mail and any
accompanying files have been transmitted to you in error.  You may not
copy, distribute or make any other use of the information contained in
them.

CERC is a trading name of Cambridge Environmental Research Consultants Ltd,
registered at Cardiff with number 1926883. Registered Office address:
3 Kings Parade, Cambridge, CB2 1SJ.