[mapserver-users] Getting an empty MVT output for a point layer

Caleb Lee caleblee at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 07:47:16 PDT 2018

I am using MapServer 7.2.0 to generate mvt for two layers (one line layer and one point layer). I am able to generate mvt output for a line layer but is having problem with a point layer. The mvt output is kind of empty (just contains layer name and column names). I am getting correct geojson outputs for both layers using WFS.

Here is the URL that I use to get MVT output:
mapserv?map=D:\home\site\wwwroot\100k_3857_node.map&mode=tile&tilemode=gmap&tile=18+24+6&layers=nodes&map.imagetype=mvt

Here is the map file:

MAP
  EXTENT -9036156 4707746 -8243569 5174793
  CONFIG "PROJ_LIB" "D:\proj\SHARE"
  NAME "TestMap"

  WEB
    METADATA
      "ows_enable_request" "*"
    END
  END

  PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:3857"
  END

  OUTPUTFORMAT
    NAME "mvt"
    DRIVER MVT
    FORMATOPTION "EDGE_BUFFER=20"
  END

  LAYER
    NAME "nodes"
    TYPE POINT
    STATUS DEFAULT
    CONNECTIONTYPE PLUGIN
    PLUGIN "msplugin_mssql2008.dll"
    CONNECTION "Connection to SQL Server Spatial"
    DATA "GeomCol from MyTable USING UNIQUE id USING SRID=3857"
    CLASS
      STYLE
        COLOR 0 0 0
      END
    END
    PROJECTION
      "+init=epsg:3857"
    END

    METADATA
      "wfs_title"                  "WFS service for Nodes"
      "wfs_srs"                    "EPSG:3857 EPSG:4326"
      "wfs_abstract"               "WFS service for Nodes"
      "wfs_enable_request"         "*"
      "gml_include_items"          "all"
    END
  END

END

With almost an identical map file and an url (layer name and table name differ), I am getting a good mvt output for my line layer.