[mapserver-users] mapserver 6 mapcache 1.6 tileindex limit

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Oct 23 11:46:37 PDT 2018

Hi Sebastiano,

Excuse me if I guess wrong, but do you mean that you have thousands or tens of thousands of images in the tileindex and you try to load the whole UK on the map? It means that Mapserver should open every image and pick a pixel or two from each of the thousands of files. It may work but it is not the right way to do it. The right way is to make a scale dependent layer group and use some other imagery with much bigger pixel size and much less files for small scales. Switch to full resolution images when it is enough to open about 20 files for filling up the screen. And make sure that your images are tiled and they have overviews.

Slides 1-18 about preparing rasters for Geoserver are also valid for Mapserver.
https://www.slideshare.net/geosolutions/gs-steroids-sgiannecfoss4g20130103

-Jukka Rahkonen-