[mapserver-users] How to fool Mapserver to accept B/W and RGB images for the same WCS coverage?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Thu Mar 7 06:30:52 PST 2019

Hi,

I have to deal with a mixture of 1-band and 3-band orthophotos which I would like to publish through WCS. The problem is that by the WCS standard band count on a coverage must be uniform and therefore Mapserver wants me to split the coverage into 2 separate coverages, one for black and white images and another for the RGB images. I guess that I could convert the 1-band images into 3-band images virtually by using a GDAL vrt that is using the same source band for each R-G-B bands but I do not feel comfortable with the idea.  I would rather find some configuration option that makes Mapserver to expand images into RGB automatically.

Mixture of 1-band and 3-band source images works fine with WMS service. Geoserver can expand 1-band images into 3-band for WCS. Ideas about how to make the same with Mapserver are welcome.

-Jukka Rahkonen-