[mapserver-users] MapCache clusters

Sebastiano Laini Sebastiano.Laini at BuchananComputing.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 07:47:10 PST 2019

Hi All,

I was wondering if is possible to dockerise my server and then use multiple cluster to seed the cache? I know I can use multiple processes with the -n and -p flag though I'm wondering there is a limit on how much you can really increase those number.

E.g. I dockerise the server and I spawn a 8core VM with 16GB ram, I can use sure -p 8 or maybe 10 but still I think that will require like 60 days to seed the whole UK with our data, can I spawn another machine and speed up the process? For example another 8core VM.

We have 4 caches with different style that are updated twice a year so if it takes me 60 days for each by the time I finish it's already time to start again.

I was wondering maybe I can run multiple VM and seed one or maybe 2 levels on each VM or if I spawn a new VM the original process will take advantage of the new VM?
In a VM I'm going to have MapServer and MapCache and I will use a subdomain under a load balancer just to seed while the domain will be use just for the seeded cache and in the same way will be under a load balancer.

Regards,

Sebastiano Laini
Web Developer
Buchanan Computing