[mapserver-users] MapCache clusters

Travis Kirstine traviskirstine at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 08:11:11 PST 2019

I don't think multiple instances of MapCache will help for seeding, in
general most of the seeding time depends on the zoom level, with each
higher zoom level taking 4 x the time as the proceeding zoom level (e.g.
zoom 20 take 4 x the time to seed as zoom 19)  .  This can vary depending
on your source service as there may be certain map scales / zoom levels
that take longer per tile to render due to expression, labels, # of
features etc... If you were to seed two levels for each mapcache instance
you still would be waiting for the higher zoom levels to complete.   Using
multiple load balanced mapserver nodes across multiple VM may improve
things a bit however if all the VMs are hosted on the same physical server
this may be slower overall.  For seeding I have heard you can use 2x the
number of cores so you could set up a single mapcache server using -n 16
pointing at the load balanced source.

Regards