[mapserver-users] mapserver cgi-bin security

Sebastiano Laini Sebastiano.Laini at BuchananComputing.co.uk
Mon Nov 25 02:19:02 PST 2019

Hi All,

We submitted our new system to a pen-test and apparently is pretty easy to be infected by SQL-injection, anyone came across this before?

We run the feature layer through a cgi-bin request, see the script below

#! /bin/sh
MAPSERV="/var/.../cgi-bin/mapserv"
MAPFILE="/var/.../twfeat.map"
if [ "${REQUEST_METHOD}" = "GET" ]; then
   if [ -z "${QUERY_STRING}" ]; then
      QUERY_STRING="map=${MAPFILE}"
   else
      QUERY_STRING="map=${MAPFILE}&${QUERY_STRING}"
   fi
   exec ${MAPSERV}
else
   echo "Sorry, I only understand GET requests."
fi
exit 1

how can you sanitize or implement security layers?

Kind Regards,

Sebastiano Laini
Web Developer
Buchanan Computing