[mapserver-users] deployed mapping engine comparison stats

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sat Jun 6 09:38:55 PDT 2020

Hi Folks,

(Disclosure: I'm the person behind that blog post.)

 > I wonder how this statistics would look like if MapServer had a
built-in web administration interface like the other competing applications.

The fact MS is so high without it shows it may not be that important, at
least not to the core audience.

I think the biggest differentiator in the stats between the top three
may be the fact that MapServers don't have any sort of catalog of
services or other way to find other services on the box. By which I
mean, ArcGIS Server allows you to crawl it and get all of the public
services and datasets. GeoServer if there are namespaces (their way of
grouping things into services) you can go up a level and see what the
root is serving, thus potentially finding more datasets and another
service that way (but only one). But MapServer doesn't have a mechanism
like that apparently (I asked on this list a couple years ago), which
means that it's hard to know if I've found everything on a specific box.
That's the biggest catch with the MapServer stat at least.

Cheers,

Jonathan