[mapserver-users] deployed mapping engine comparison stats

Steve Lime sdlime at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:53:46 PDT 2020

That's probably a result of what drove MapServer development early on.
MapServer itself is just a binary (CGI/FCGI) that can do stuff as simple as
making simple inset maps or scalebars to distributing maps and data using
OGC services with plenty of variations in between. Each call is discrete
and there are no long running processes. A single deployment could serve
dozens of wide-ranging purposes and in that situation a catalog makes no
sense. Those "purposes" often only make sense with the context of the
application that uses them. Closest thing to a catalog would be
GetCapability responses. Then of course you have MapScript applications
that would be difficult, if not impossible, to identify as being related to
MapServer.