[mapserver-users] Embedbed Web form on a Map.

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Mar 9 07:30:57 PDT 2020

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone has seen/built an example of embedding (or overlaying) a web form on top of a map.

Basically I want to be able to edit attributes of a feature right in the map.  Click the feature, and a form appears related to the actual feature.  Labels /FORM elements follow a polyline for example.

My first aplication will apply some Address range setting form elements to each end of a line for editing.  I’ve already figured out how to display the elements in a raster output through Mapserver, but still pondering the web (edit) form aspects.

Some initial thoughts:

  *   Could a output template be devised to output a rotated (CSS) web form with the approriate pixel spacing of the elements right from Mapserver. I think so, even so far as rotating individual form elements in the result.  Seems like a bit of an uphill battle though . . .
  *   Could a LandScape/Portrait FORM have a rotated background image applied to it, based on the preplanned end point locations on the map.  This actually seems the quickest to implement, but I wonder if it helps at all with other feature types, or if it would be specific to this first need.  It would be nice to implement a method for any feature type for example, like being able to edit the edges of a polygon.

My first need:

[***] = FORM elements (attributes for editing)

    [min_left_add]              [street_name]            [max_left_add]
    [min_right_add]             [street_type]           [max_right_add]

or

 [max_left_add]    |    [max_right_add]

  [street_name]    |    [street_type]

 [min_left_add]    |    [min_right_add]