[mapserver-users] Comment on OpenStreetMap tutorial...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 10:32:17 PST 2021

Hi (mostly Jeff),

I am going through the excellent MapServer + OpenStreetMap tutorial that
you produced at
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/wiki/RenderingOsmDataWindows .

As you know, it's several versions behind but everything works fine up to
one spot.

Under "Verify PostgreSQL and PostGIS Installation Success" I don't see the
"template_postgis" database discussed under the 7th bullet point:

   - There should be an icon with a red X labeled something like
   "template_postgis" (databases created by postgis install)

.  Instead, I only see the default "postgres" database.  There is a clue
that says

   - Single click 'template_postgis" (Note: with PostgresSQL 11
   Stackbuilder this will not be there; create a db and add the extensions
   yourself using pgAdmin)

but although I was able to create a database called "template_postgis," I
was unable to add the postgis and postgis_topology extensions, perhaps due
to my unfamiliarity with the pgAdmin tool.

I think that the reason is due to the third bullet point under "Install
PostGIS" which says

   - Make sure "Create Database" is not selected

perhaps?  Anyway, I found a workaround.

I opened back up Stack Builder, and reinstalled PostGIS and this time
checked the "Create Database" option.  I named the database
"template_postgis" and the new database seems to be fine.

I would consider making a PR for this page if you thought this was the
right approach.

I am using Postgres 14 on Windows 10 with MS4W 4.0.5 and so far, so good!

Thanks,

carl