[mapserver-users] Getting started with WCS on mapserver...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 11:23:39 PDT 2021

Hi,

A week and a half ago I asked about using Mapserver +WMS to serve elevation
data since I was following a tutorial that discussed WMS.

In one of the replies I received, Jeff suggested that I actually wanted WCS
for my use case which was a forehead slap + d'oh! moment for me.  Of course
I do!

Anyway, I have followed the Mapserver WCS docs and everything seems to work
well.

However, I have one question that may be kind of niche or will perhaps
betray my overall ignorance.

A while ago I wrote a WCS client for another project and it expects WCS
version 2.0 requests.

The map file that I made up (based closely on the one in the docs:
https://mapserver.org/ogc/wcs_server.html#example-wcs-server-mapfile )
seems to work fine for WCS 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0.  However, I don't seem to get
a bounding box from GetCapabilities in the CoverageSummary from my 2.0
requests whereas I certainly do from the 1.1 request:

I get this from VERSION=1.1.0:

<Contents>
<CoverageSummary>
<ows:Title>bathymetry</ows:Title>
<ows:Abstract/>
<ows:WGS84BoundingBox dimensions="2">
<ows:LowerCorner>-180 -90</ows:LowerCorner>
<ows:UpperCorner>180 90</ows:UpperCorner>
</ows:WGS84BoundingBox>
<SupportedCRS>urn:ogc:def:crs:EPSG::4326</SupportedCRS>
<SupportedFormat>image/tiff</SupportedFormat>
<Identifier>bathymetry</Identifier>
</CoverageSummary>
</Contents>

whereas I get just this from VERSION=2.0.1:

<wcs:Contents>
<wcs:CoverageSummary>
<wcs:CoverageId>bathymetry</wcs:CoverageId>
<wcs:CoverageSubtype>RectifiedGridCoverage</wcs:CoverageSubtype>
</wcs:CoverageSummary>
</wcs:Contents>

Is there something I can add to my WCS map file to get the
"ows:WGS84BoundingBox"
element returned in my GetVersion?  I believe I was working with Geoserver
sources when I wrote that client but I would really like to get the
geographic extents.

Thank you very much for the great documentation!

carl