[mapserver-users] Getting started with mapcache for WMTS...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:54:49 PDT 2021

Hi again,

Is there a way to search through the mapserver-users mailing list archive
except month-by-month?  If so, I can't find it.  (I usually use my Gmail
archives for GDAL and PROJ since I've subscribed forever to those but I'm a
mapserver newbie.)  Anyway...

I am trying to configure mapcache to serve from my (local and AFAICT fully
working) WMS server on my MS4W 4.0.5 installation.  I am following the
directions at https://mapserver.org/mapcache/index.html as well as the
steps listed from the local MS4W page (#mapcache-apache-module).

I think I understand the basic principles and have added a new source that
looks like this:

   <source name="faa" type="wms">
      <getmap>
         <params>
            <FORMAT>image/geotiff</FORMAT>
            <LAYERS>FAA_Sectional_Charts</LAYERS>
            <TRANSPARENT>TRUE</TRANSPARENT>
            <SRS>EPSG:4326</SRS>
            <BBOX>-125,24,-61,49</BBOX>
         </params>
      </getmap>
      <http>
         <url>http://localhost:8080/wms</url>
      </http>
   </source>

and a new tileset that looks like this:

   <tileset name="faa">
      <source>faa</source>
      <cache>disk</cache>
      <grid>WGS84</grid>
      <format>PNG</format>
      <metatile>5 5</metatile>
      <metabuffer>10</metabuffer>
      <expires>3600</expires>
   </tileset>
(This is the same as the "test" tileset with a different source.)

But how do I test this? The query

http://localhost:8080/mapcache/wmts?service=wmts&request=getcapabilities&version=1.0.0

lists my new source as a layer.  The docs say

   1.

   Test your MapCache configuration by following steps in the
associated MapCache
   testing docs
   <https://mapserver.org/mapcache/install.html#test-your-mapcache-module>

but that seems to be about testing the mapcache/demo.  I don't see how to
add something to the mapcache/demo if that's possible.  What am I
overlooking?

Thanks a lot,
carl