[MapServer-users] "Emergency" map server on Raspberry Pi - raster/PNG source in folder structure

Stefan Gofferje lists at home.gofferje.net
Wed Oct 12 04:55:29 PDT 2022

Hi all,

Life (and COVID) hit, so I never got anywhere with updating my weather
website and taking mapserver into use there.

Currently I have another project - due to the geopolitical situation:
I'm working on a mobile system to provide emergency/off-grid "tactical"
communication and data. It's centered on a Raspberry Pi and includes
things like Meshtastic and others. One of the things I would like to add
is a WMS/WFS server to provide map data via local Wifi AP to connected
devices.

Topographical (and other) maps of whole Finland are available under CC4
from the Finnish Land Survey through the KAPSI non-profit. The maps are
in 12kx12k PNGs in a folder structure by UTM grid. See here:
http://kartat.kapsi.fi/files/peruskarttarasteri_jhs180/taustavari_korkeuskayrilla/1m/etrs89/png/
The data can by rsync'd down.
I'm not clear how I would configure mapserver for that. Do I have to
create one map with extent and such for each PNG tile or can I point
mapserver to the root directory  of the data and tell it to go through
it recursively and get the data from the PGW sidecar files?

-Stefan

--
  (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
  //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263