[MapServer-users] Clipped labels in mapcache/mapserver map

Thomas Ellett von Brasch Thomas.Ellett at kartverket.no
Mon Oct 31 08:16:16 PDT 2022

Hi all,

I'm really struggling to fix a longstanding issue with clipped labels in a couple of our wmts services.
I've tried following the mapserver/mapcache docs and numerous variations of different attributes, but with no luck.

The main problem bug fixing is that the issue seems to be quite random, just popping up here and there.

Examples can be seen in these urls:

https://norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=11&lat=6879652.31&lon=167744.51

(the 'Stor rar' and 'S' names in the centre of the map)

https://norgeskart.no/#!?project=norgeskart&layers=1002&zoom=6&lat=6440416.41&lon=127931.07

('Kristiansan' , which should be 'Kristiansand')

I have "labelcache_map_edge_buffer" "10" in the mapfile and <metabuffer>10</metabuffer> set in the mapcache file.

In the source WMS, the placenames layers are line layers (with very small line geometries used just to give curved lines) and the layers (we have several name layers for the different zoom levels, but they're all set up in the same way) look like (truncated):

LAYER
NAME "N100Stedsnavn"
PROCESSING "CLOSE_CONNECTION=DEFER"
PROCESSING "LABEL_NO_CLIP=True"
TYPE LINE

    CLASS
      NAME "N100 Stedsnavn"
      EXPRESSION ([fmx_rotation] != 0)
      LABEL
                  PARTIALS FALSE
                ANGLE follow
                ANTIALIAS TRUE
                FONT "verdana"
                SIZE [fontsize]
                COLOR [geodb_color]
                ENCODING "UTF-8"
                  PRIORITY [fontsize]
                FORCE FALSE
                  MINDISTANCE 50
                 OUTLINECOLOR 254 254 254
                 POSITION [horizontalalignment]
                 TYPE TRUETYPE
      END
      TEXT "[textstring]"
    END
END

And the tileset definition in the mapcache config file looks like:

<tileset name="norgeskart_bakgrunn">
        <source>norgeskart_bakgrunn</source>
        <cache>norgeskart_bakgrunn</cache>
        <metadata>
            <title>Topografisk Norgeskart og dybdedata og svalbard minus matrikkel</title>
           <abstract>Cache for Norgeskart</abstract>
        </metadata>
        <grid>googlemaps</grid>
        <grid>utm33n</grid>
        <format>PNG</format>
        <metatile>8 8</metatile>
        <metabuffer>10</metabuffer>
</tileset>

Is it possible the metatiles being used in the original seed job and later seeding jobs are different somehow?

Given that the labelcache_map_edge_buffer is set (along with metabuffer) and we have PARTIALS FALSE in the mapfile, I didn't think that cut labels would be possible?

Any thoughts or ideas would be great :)

Thanks in advance!

Tom

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D3A415.20CB4FE0]