[MapServer-users] MB Tiles vs. UTF grids

Fri Sep 2 16:26:11 PDT 2022

Hello,

You have the answer at https://github.com/mapbox/mbtiles-spec#utfgrid Two
specs. In old days, utfgrid was part of the mbtiles spec directly
- mbtiles = contains raster or vector tiles
- utfgrid = store in the same scheme (xyz) json blob to be able to make
interactive map

Most of the time, when using mbtiles = you create a sqlite file
pregenerated and you serve raster/vector tiles and optionally utfgrid using
a small server without any mapping logic. The advantage = any hosting can
do it. Drawback = Can't refresh on the fly.

The alternative approach is to use a web map server that's able to read a
geospatial datasource and output from it an image/vector/utfgrid like if it
utfgrid) but the data behind behind the scene is not stored in a mbtiles.
Advantage = clients libraries (OpenLayers, Leaflet,...) are able to consume
raster/vector tiles or utfgrid like if served from static mbtiles. Drawback
= special hosting to deploy and use your web map server.

Not sure it's enough clear.

Regards,

Thomas Gratier