[MapServer-users] What is the optimal value of requests per second for Mapserver?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Apr 20 07:17:03 PDT 2023

As Oskar wrote, there is no single answer to this question.  It depends
on lots of factors.

To give you an idea, you may be interested in checking out the FOSS4G
WMS Benchmarks [1], a friendly competition that took place for a few
years at FOSS4G comparing MapServer and other contenders under various
types of load.

Since there is LOTS of info in there, I suggest that you start by
reviewing the 2011 benchmark presentation [2] to get a first overview of
the tests and the results, and then if you want to know more you can
find more details on the benchmark environment in the wiki at [3].

Daniel

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Benchmark
[2] https://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/benchmarking/wms/2011/presentation/
[3] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Benchmarking_2011

On 2023-04-20 09:59, Oskar Ravhed wrote:
> It is impossible to answer on without knowing what kind of for
> wms/wcs/wfs you are serving with mapserver
>
> For example a simple raster wms will be able to do many request per second.
>
> On the other side serve out osm from a postgis database will in some
> heavy scale not do more then 1 tile every 5 second
>
> I would determ it based on cpu/disk usage instead of request  per second
>

> On 20/04/2023 15:48, Marcin Niemyjski via MapServer-users wrote:
>>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm looking for a benchmark advice.
>>
>> If I have a machine running on 6 CPUs and 25gb RAM what would be the
>> value of the number of requests per second from which I should start
>> scaling my VMs with Mapserver?
>>
>> Is there any way of testing or investingating? I'm using Locust and
>> JMeter but it's really hard to get a logical answer for this question.
>>
>> Best,
>> Marcin
>>

>> <https://outlook.office.com/bookwithme/user/6347c7def05a478ba013ae948648789d@cloudferro.com?anonymous&ep=signature>
>> 	Book time to meet with me