[MapServer-users] FW: Unable to build mapserver 8 on WIndows with v8 support

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Thu Jun 8 10:13:05 PDT 2023

Hi,

I've not used this functionality myself, and I remember at a MapServer codesprint there were problems trying to compile this over 5 years ago. In answer to your question about getting it working with MapServer 8 - I doubt this is possible without updating the source code.

As Jeff wrote it will need someone to attempt to update this to work with newer versions. It would require experience of the v8 engine and its API changes in the last 10 years to get this working again. A few links that may be useful to get started:

- the code - https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/tree/4b7ad75eda030eca919b7f7d06de8a8e95ca52f3/mapscript/v8
- the RFC about its implementation - https://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-106.html
- the original pull request - https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/pull/4827

Just to note this support is to allow shapes to be manipulated with JS functions in a Mapfile, and unrelated to MapScript. Adding MapScript JS support is probably easier as it is one of the SWIG target languages.

Seth

--
web:https://geographika.net & https://mapserverstudio.net
twitter: @geographika