[MapServer-users] HTTP/2 Protocol Error MS Demo server

Just van den Broecke justb4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:35:08 PDT 2023

Hi,

In the pygeoapi CI on GitHub we experience suddenly an error in the OGR
Provider that connects via WFS to the MapServer demo server. The problem
has to do with HTTP/2 on a Ubuntu 20.04 system.

Error is like:
"Failure, Msg: HTTP/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: PROTOCOL_ERROR
(err 1)"

I can trigger the same error with curl on a Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (used by
the GH CI)

  curl -v  https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wfs

* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Newsession Ticket (4):
* old SSL session ID is stale, removing
* Connection state changed (MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS == 128)!
* http2 error: Invalid HTTP header field was received: frame type: 1,
stream: 1, name: [upgrade], value: [h2,h2c]
* HTTP/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: PROTOCOL_ERROR (err 1)
* stopped the pause stream!
* Connection #0 to host demo.mapserver.org left intact
curl: (92) HTTP/2 stream 0 was not closed cleanly: PROTOCOL_ERROR (err 1)

Forcing HTTP 1.1 gets rid of the error:

curl -v  --http1.1 https://demo.mapserver.org/cgi-bin/wfs

So it doesn't seem pygeoapi nor GDAL-related. Looks more like this
(Apache) problem:
https://serverfault.com/questions/937253/https-doesnt-work-with-safari

Best,

--Just