[OSGeo-Board] Some whining from the outside

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 11:00:07 EDT 2006

Dear all,

[posting moved here]

On 8/12/06, Michael P. Gerlek <mpg at lizardtech.com> wrote:

> > OSGeo Newsletter [...] GRASS offered several times to donate the material of
> > the upcoming 4th GRASS Newsletter, I think that the GRASS people will
> > use it soon and drop the idea to donate it (because their authors get
> > upset)...
>
> This is a VisCom issue, and I'll take responsibility for not communicating
> properly about this.  We've discussed this a number of times, and we do not
> have sufficient volunteers today for doing a "real" newsletter;

No big problem, Michael. I just tried to figure out the state.
I can imagine that currently volunteers are lacking to run a regular
newsletter (btw: the GRASS newsletter isn't regular, but as-it-happens).

> we're looking to first get a system in place for just doing simple,
> direct-published news, e.g. blogs.  [The new drupal site gives us that,
> woo-hoo!]  I didn't realize the GRASS was waiting on us for action, I
> thought this was an open-ended sort of offer.
>
> (further discussion on this should move to the viscom list)
>
> -mpg

Sort of open ended: as written, some authors request us to get their
articles published (they are waiting for months). One interview we
can already drop since it is totally outdated. It is also true that we have
two promises for articles which aren't submitted yet to us (editorial
team of GRASS News).

Anyway, I think that it should happen within 2 months. If that's too
tight for VisCom, would it be ok to let it go again as GRASS News Vol4?
We would continue to collect material of OSGeo of course.

My private opinion, Martin (in cc) may have another one.

Best
markus