some Vis stuff

Michael P. Gerlek mpg at lizardtech.com
Mon Mar 13 13:12:13 EST 2006

Frank said:

> Note that I am promoting formal sponsorship directed to
> projects as the
> mechanism to provide background support funding for libraries and
> components that companies depend on.  Of course, direct funding to
> developers for specific features is also always encouraged.
>
> We will definately need some coordinate between VisCom and
> the Fundraising
> Committee (FunCom?) to ensure that VisCom's message supports
> or planned
> fundraising approach.

Right.  Note that my interest in this area is sort of aimed at the
initial steps of getting the awareness and visibility up for geo open
source adoption in general.  My position is that we're at the early
adopter phase: some very high percentage of the companies out there
equate "open source" only with terms like "Linux" and "Perl", not
foundational (lowercase-F) geo packages.  As we become successful in
addressing that, we can then leverage the resulting interest into
funding.

> [on my playing with logos]
> I suggest some caution on this front.  It may be easier when we have a
> sponsorship program because then the decision rule is that we

Yes, I agree.  My page was only a stub to show what we "could" do, not
what "is".  Ideally, there would be (at least) two pages: one with
OSGeo-official projects, and one with more general "affiliations".

-mpg