[VisCom] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo at events? GISBrasil - august 2006]

Arnulf Christl (CCGIS) arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Wed May 24 18:35:37 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 23:27, pmarc wrote:
> 2006/5/24, Arnulf Christl <arnulf.christl at ccgis.de>:
>>
>> On Wed, May 24, 2006 02:42, Rafael Medeiros Sperb wrote:
>> > Dear Arnulf,
>> >
>> > People from Autodesk Brazil asked me to present it. However, I have
>> > financial issues and can't go there. It is a highly commercial
>> congress,
>> > isn't it Paulo?
>>
>> Paulo,
>> could you explain in short words how strong you see the need for OSGeo
>> appear there and do you possibly even go there anyway? If yes you might
>> want to check back with VisCom for handouts or further information.
>
> Hi Arnulf,
>
> As Rafael alerady hinted, GISBrasil is a highly commercial event, more
> so now that it has joined COMDEX Brasil. However, lots of heavy GIS
> users are there, either attending or exhibiting. As in many other
> places GIS here is a four-letter word. No, it's not ENVI...
>
> Some time ago I worked with the Brazilian Geological Survey, they are
> _heavy_ users of that proprietary GIS suite, and also have a very
> proprietary line of thought.
>
> So, IMHO, OSGeo has also a role to play here, both in the visibility
> arena - people have to know that there are free alternatives to what
> they do - and in the Public Geodata arena.
>
> I am not very connected to the GIS people, as now I am working with
> petroleum geophysics research, for a major brazilian oil company. So,
> I think I am not the right person to represent OSGeo. But I see this
> event as a good oportunity to have OSGeo noted here. I was interested
> in attending this event, but not planning to do so. If it serves the
> cause, I will gladly donate a bit of time and effort to be there
> (re)presenting OSGeo.
>
> As a bonus, our federal government has a bias towards free software,
> from the ideological PoV - left wing associations make me nervous,
> but.... And, the state of São Paulo is, AFAIK, adopting free software,
> but for economical reasons. SO, I see a growing awareness of free
> software as serious software. It may be the right time to jump in this
> wagon.
>
> Not so short words...
> Ah, reproduction is authorized, provided my name is kept on it. (does
> it makes this message non-free?)
> --
> Paulo Marcondes = PU1/PU2PIX
> -22.915 -42.229 = GG87vc (http://www.amsat.org/cgi-bin/gridconv)
> Debian GNU/Linux = http://rj.debianbrasil.org = http://www.debian.org

Hi Paulo,
thanks a many for the lots of words (i only humbly ask for short versions
to not put off people from answering at all). Keeping the originator
linked to their work is an essentiallity of being Free. GISBrasil being a
highly commercial event makes it all the more interesting to us.

I will added this event to the agenda of the VisCom meeting tomorrow and
we will try to work out how to go about it. After all you said and what I
know about the OS market in Brazil my personal opinion is that we should
try hard to get a foot in the door there.

Best regards,
Arnulf.