[Viscom-dev] PR for Canadian Geodata?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Aug 29 13:28:25 EDT 2007

dear VisCom,

LinkedIn.com keeps trying to suggest i apply for Marketing jobs.
Perhaps i am missing a vocation! So i have resubscribed to the VisCom
mailing list after long absence. Hello again.

Topmost in mind right now, is how great it would be to send a press
release about the wonderful things being done with open access
Canadian geodata. The glossy Integration Showcase. The precedent
for open civic information that Canada is helping set for the world.
I imagine it would go something like this:

=head= Eye-catching Title

=p1= Concise explanation, brief quote from someone at GeoConnexions

=p2-p4= Context of FOSS4G, quote from someone at OSGeo, more details

=p5= Links to shiny demo, PR Contact details
			    -30-

What i'd need to make this happen:
1/ Someone at GeoConnexions prepared to offer a nice quote
2/ Help with copyediting from someone who knows the form
3/ A mechanism for getting the PR out into some press networks
(I have an old ORA list of tech-interest journo contacts in Europe,
though some of them may be out of date now...)

What are the FOSS4G2007 organisers planning, if anything, in the way
of press release promotion, and how would this fit with their
schedule? This would be my main concern, about spam/overlap.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Canadian_Geodata

Feedback appreciated,

jo